Wednesday, June 16, 2010

NXNE and other news

The North By Northeast Music Festival is upon us again, and for the first time in years I'm actually going to see some of the acts! The last time that I made it out to NXNE I was supplied with a press lanyard and the wide-eyed enthusiasm of a newbie journalist. Since then my cynicism has grown and my tolerance for late night rock-n-roll parties has sadly diminished. Despite my natural want for a decent night's sleep I've decided to gung-ho this year's festival and see as many performances as I can with a wristband. That's right, I'll have to wait in line with the rest of the plebs. I'll also be checking out this week's major event - the Olympic Island show taking place this Saturday with Broken Social Scene, Beach House, and headliners Pavement. While I never got into Pavement during my disaffected youth, I hear that this show will be one to remember so I'm looking forward to it. I hope to write daily reviews for My Pet Vulture on everything I see for the next five days, so look for something tomorrow on whatever I get up to tonight.

In other news, I've started a podcast with one of my best friends, Zalina Alvi. It's called Love This Movie, Hate This Film and it's hosted over on her site. Ever had a friend who just couldn't see sense when it came to movies? Like, they watch a lot, but they just don't seem to get how one film is good and another is most definitely not? Well, that's Zalina and because we're such good friends we can tear each other a new one without causing any permanent damage (a scrape here, a chunk of missing hair there, nothing a little concealer can't handle). There are two up so far so if you haven't already, you should really check them out.

This summer will be packed with concerts (I've already been to three I haven't had the chance to review here - The Weakerthans, My Brightest Diamond, and The National - but a piece on The National is forthcoming, so stay tuned!). I've got Blitzen Trapper, Arcade Fire, and Dirty Projectors all lined up for later this summer, so hopefully one or all of those will warrant a post. I've also got some non-music themed posts planned - another thing to stay on the edge of your seat for. It'll be a good summer, promise.

No comments: